I was introduced to Julie Brown by Pamela Leggett of pamelaspatterns.com (and Palmer/Pletsch Philadelphia), because Pamela is good like that, she can sense commonalities between people. Julie is the head merchandise buyer for Fabric Mart’s fashion fabrics. We met last summer for a bite when she was in NYC (she so kindly came to Williamsburg, Brooklyn to meet me) and we knew we could do something really different and interesting together.
With her access to beautiful fashion fabric and my designs, we came up with the idea to use her beautiful body and my fitting skills and bring you a video Fit-Along of my McCall’s 7246 wrap dress.
See our trailer below:
In this four-week series, beginning the second week of February, or as I like to call it “Fit-February,” we will go through the whole fitting process, from choosing the right fabric for your design through fabric pinning and finishing. We’ve divided the fit-along into 4 easy lessons as follows:
- WEEK 1 Introduction to the Melissa and Julie and the Palmer/Pletsch tissue-fitting method: Supplies, Choosing a size, Picking a fabric, and Preparing your pattern.
- WEEK 2 Tissue-fitting in action: Fitting the Bodice
- WEEK 3 Tissue-fitting in action: Fitting the Skirt and Sleeve
- WEEK 4 Final Fabric Pin-Fitting and Finishing
This will give you busy people a chance to acquire the kit, if you feel so inclined, and follow along week by week, giving you enough time to take the process at your leisure, pause and pick up where you left off.
As if this wasn’t enough excitement, Julie and I put together a complete fit-along kit so you can really follow along with us! It includes everything you will need for one M7246 wrap dress and as a little bonus, for the first 50 kits sold we are including a free sample piece of Palmer/Pletsch PerfectFuse interfacing! We are offering the kits in two types of fabric:
- Knit kits contain a jacquard double knit fabric (95% polyester, 5% spandex) that is a suitable weight for the details in this dress. A double knit fabric will create a stable dress that will move with you and hold its shape.
- Woven kits contain a printed rayon challis fabric (100% rayon) that is suitable for making a light and flowy version of this wrap dress.
Both of these dresses are featured in the Fit-Along, and supply is limited so make sure to get yours!
More information on how to get your kit will be posted next week at: http://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/Fit-Along.html
Videos can be very helpful for at home lessons and practicing on your own, but hands on teaching is the best! We have over 100 certified sewing instructors all over North and Central America, Europe and Australia. To Find a teacher near you please visit the Palmer/Pletsch CSI page. We hope that this fit-along will get you inspired and started on your tissue fitting adventures but for more in depth fitting we hope you find a hands on class in your city!
Melissa will be teaching the tissue fitting method at Camp Workroom Social this October 14-17th 2016 for the second year! Camp Workroom Social is a wonderful place for sewists to indulge and where you can learn great fitting tools to bring to your everyday sewing as well as meet new friends and roast some s’mores! We can’t wait to share the method with you at camp!